Democracy Has Prevailed.

December 23, 2008

Rick Warren, From The Other Side

It's good, every now and then, to peek into the wingnut press to see what obsesses our friends in the Red State tin-hat league.

From World Net Daily - a condemnation of Pastor Rick Warren for agreeing to give the invocation at the upcoming inauguration.

Joseph Farah, founder and CEO of World Net Daily, begins with a bang:

I'm writing to share my profound and abject revulsion at your agreement to offer the invocation at the inauguration of Barack Hussein Obama as president Jan. 20.

I understand you want this to be a time of "healing" for our nation. I understand you consider Obama to be your "friend." I understand your desire to bring "civility" to our society.

However, when we read the Bible, we see there are times for men of God to stand up to leaders, like Nathan did to King David, and confront them with the absolute truth of God's word and His laws. That's what all Christians should do when confronted with leaders embracing evil.

Abject revulsion? Embracing evil?

The issue? Abortion of course.

Farah wants civility but he doesn't see his own place in the coarseness of it all. He goes all the way with his criticisms:
I understand your yearning for civility.

I yearn for it, too.

But civility begins with the understanding that we are all made in the image of God. It begins with the rejection of the shedding of innocent blood. It begins with the church standing boldly upon its absolute convictions in the Word of God and in His laws.

I'm sure you would not want to invoke God's blessing on the inauguration of a figure like Adolf Hitler, whose rise to power brought the destruction of millions of lives.

Ah, the Hitler argument - from a man who "yearns for civility" in our public discourse.

Pure wingnut.

Questions? Comments? Remarks? Drop me an e-mail.

UPDATE From Jason:
I really enjoyed this post (cough)... it was two direct bible quotes away from being a Fred Phelps diatribe. THESE people drive me nuts. Our President-elect simply chose someone to speak at his inauguration, albeit religiously. While I’m not a big Rick Warren fan due to his stance on gay marriage, I will not go around vilifying him because he has different beliefs. If guys like Joseph Farah want to tell the news, fine, but he is an influential person, like it or not, and certain people will believe his “news.” People feed into this stuff. The more I hear from guys like this including Fred Phelps, it makes me wonder if THEY are not the ones with mental illnesses and not the LGBT (myself included).
Update From Ed Heath:
I took a quick look and sure enough, Joseph Farah supports the death penalty. As he said in your quote of him, he is against the shedding of innocent blood.

At best, like that Prop 8 video said, Farah is picking and choosing which parts of the bible he wants to advocate. Now I can understand both sides being angry with both Rick Warren and Barack Obama over the inauguration prayer thing. Personally I think both sides will in fact benefit, opponents of Prop 8 will get to air their grievances again, while followers of Rick Warren will take a fresh look at Obama. But I think the radicals on all sides would be advised to try to calm down. Obama is likely to do this sort of thing again. And in the long run we may all draw a bit closer. But along the way those who expect Obama to hew closely to some party line are in for some hurt feelings. Better get used to it.