Democracy Has Prevailed.

December 5, 2012

Follow Up On Marco Rubio And The Age Of The Earth

A few weeks ago I blogged on Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) and his scientific illiteracy.

He was asked how old the earth was and he was quoted said:
I'm not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I'm not a scientist. I don't think I'm qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.
Looks like he's walked this back but the double special secret message to the creationists he wants to impress is still present. Here's the video and Thinkprogress has a transcript:
There is no scientific debate on the age of the earth. I mean, it’s established pretty definitively, it’s at least 4.5 billion years old. I was referring to a theological debate, which is a pretty health debate. And the theological debate is … how do you reconcile with what science has definitively established with what you may think your faith teaches. Now for me, actually, when it comes to the age of the earth, there is no conflict. I believe that in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And I think that scientific advances have given us insight into when he did it and how he did it, but I still believe God did it…. I just think in America we should have the freedom to teach our children whatever it is we believe. And that means teaching them science, they have to know the science, but also parents have the right to teach them the theology and to reconcile the two things. [Emphasis from ThinkProgress]
It's good to know that Senator Rubio agrees with science and goes on record stating an age for the universe that corresponds to the evidence.

Now if can only convince the majority of Republicans to agree with him.

2 comments:

Social Justice NPC Anti-Paladin™ said...

Now if can only convince the majority of Republicans to agree with him.
And Obama
Who Said It: Marco Rubio or Barack Obama

BUT OBAMA SAID EVOLUTION SO SCIENCE WINGNUT!!!1!!

Dayvoe said...

And again - another non sequitur from the troll.

Can someone explain to me what HTTT means? Is he saying that Obama is a young Earth Creationist? Or ANY sort of Creationist?

Because not even Marco Rubio is asserting that.